Pinguy OS 14.04 Mini Final

Decided to bring back the Pinguy OS Mini’s (Full version should be out in about a week or so). It comes with all the tweaks the full version will have (full version will be based on the Mini’s) and has all the extra added system tools like Samba and boot repair, but for apps it just has Firefox (29.0) with all the plug-ins so things like Netflix, Flash, Quicktime, Divx, Java, Hangouts etc. will work out-of-the-box and VLC (2.1.2) for media files.

It’s just a nice clean solid base to add your own apps to. It does include all the repos from the full version so has a huge selection of apps available from the software center (Spotify, Dropobox, Skype, Steam etc.)

It’s called a Mini due to many of the apps that are included in the main version being absent, but due to the tweaks and added system tools the ISO is still fairly large.

Pinguy OS Mini is using GNOME Shell 3.10 by default, customized with extensions such as Gno-Menu, Media Player Indicator, Top Icons and more. It comes with many useful applications and tweaks by default.

The Mini also includes TLP (a tool that applies various tweaks to your laptop to save battery power), zram-config, preload (a daemon that stores the frequently used files in memory for faster startup times) and Profile Sync Daemon, among many other tweaks.

Changes in Pinguy OS 14.04 Mini

For 14.04, Pinguy OS comes with new applications and tweaks available by default. For instance, Peerflix and the Firefox scripts (which allow you to click a torrent in Firefox and start playing it immediately using VLC) are available by default:

Another important change is that TRIM is now used by default. TRIM allows the OS to “inform a solid-state drive (SSD) which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped internally”. Without using TRIM, the SSD speed decreases after a while so if you have a solid-state drive that supports TRIM, you should enable it so your SSD remains fast over time.

There are also some new default applications:

• FileBot, an application that allows you to batch rename Movie and TV Show files;
  • GNOME Do (quick launcher);

A data recovery script that uses TestDisk is also available by default with Pinguy OS 14.04 Mini.

Other changes include:

• Netflix works out of the box
  • Liquid Prompt available by default;
  • Google2Ubuntu (speech recognition API. Hot Key F7)
  • Latest TeamvVewer is included
  • Basic Conky tool to change themes and settings
  • Added Panel OSD GNOME Shell extension (lets you configure where to display the notifications);
  • Added Audio Output Switcher GNOME Shell extension (adds a switch for selecting the audio output to the system menu);
  • Many bug fixes.

PinguyOS Mini includes the latest 3.13.0-24 Ubuntu Linux Kernel, Xorg server 1.15.1 and Mesa 10.1.0.

Direct 32bitDirect 64bit

#UPDATE 9th May

Updated the Mini’s with branding and made them so they are compatible with Gnome 3.12.

Known Bugs/FAQ:

Selecting auto login in the installer does not work.
I had to disable it so the live session would auto login. You can enable it once Pinguy OS is installed by opening gdm3setup/Login screen settings and editing the options.

Torrent Streaming in Firefox isn’t an option. To make it work you need to open a torrent in Firefox and select: /usr/bin/Torrent-Video-Player
More info here: http://forum.pinguyos.com/showthread.php?tid=4723

Open Firefox and download a video torrent. When it asks what app to use pick Other and browse to /usr/bin/Torrent-Video-Player

Same as before but instead of downloading a torrent file download a magnet link and select /usr/bin/Magnet-Video-Player

There is an issue with logging into Facebook with gnome-online-accounts that is a know Gnome bug. A work around can be found here.

Apturl is broken. This is an issue with Ubuntu. I tested Apturl in Ubuntu and it’s also broken there. I installed older versions of apturl and apturl-common and it worked fine.

To make the Distro work with Gnome 3.12 I had to add Restore-Extensions to startups. This forces the Extensions to start. If you want to add extra Extensions and have them start you will need to remove Restore-Extensions from startup.

If you use symbols in your password make sure you pick the correct Keyboard.

In Firefox some of the Add-ons are disabled. Just run Add-on update to enable them. Also when you first open Firefox it will download Silverlight so wait for it to download and install before using the browser.

15 Responses to “Pinguy OS 14.04 Mini Final”

1. Ritesh Puj 02/05/2014 at 4:15 PM #

No one seeding the torrent, Please seed.

• Pinguy 02/05/2014 at 4:38 PM #

I am seeding. What client are you using? I have got the torrents setup with weeb seeds. Not all BitTorrent clients have the ability to use them. uTorrent and Deluge can.

• Ritesh Puj 02/05/2014 at 4:44 PM #

How do i use weeb seeds. I am using utorrent as my torrent client, do i need to switch to BitTorrent ? , I really liked your OS. I am really appreciate if you can guide me with the Downloading process.

• Pinguy 02/05/2014 at 4:48 PM #

You shouldn’t need to do anything. If it is not working for you just get the iso directly. If the Mirror is slow pick one closer to where you live.

• Ritesh Puj 02/05/2014 at 4:52 PM #

I live in India. My usual internet speeds are from 220 to 240kb/ps but I am just grtting 50kbps speed. And one more thing that I want to ask is the full version of this OS going to come this week? If so I would probably wait for it.
            And many thanks for so quick responses.

• Pinguy 02/05/2014 at 4:55 PM #

Maybe Wednesday for the full release.

Just doubled checked the torrents. They are working.

• Ritesh Puj 02/05/2014 at 7:19 PM #

So if I install Pinguy OS mini now, then can I update it to full version without reinstalling the complete OS

• Pinguy 02/05/2014 at 7:53 PM #

No because they will be missing the packages/apps that the full version will have.

• Ritesh Puj 03/05/2014 at 12:34 AM #

Ok then I’ll probably wait. Thanks thanks a lot for your help. One more thing that I would like to mention is that I am software engineer by profession so I can also contribute to your project, incase if you need me just let me know.

2. avoura 03/05/2014 at 9:04 PM #

There is a bug in the menus when I ran it in Virtual Box, using 32-bit version. For some menus, nothing is shown, but moving the mouse over where the entries should be shows a description at the bottom. This is for “All Applications”, “System Settings”, and “System Tools”

This is happening with both 14.04.1 and 14.04.2

• avoura 09/05/2014 at 10:01 PM #

Is there any update on fixing this bug? or does this just occur in Virtual Box alone?

3. ActYourRage 13/05/2014 at 3:58 AM #

antoni my friend, this is the first time i run upon so big issues with one of your releases,
    so I would LOVE your help
    a)none of the customisations i do with the extensions persists after a relog
    b)the same is true for enabling some of your scripts
    c)when i try to rearrange the order of the fav apps in overview system freezes

i was eager to go pinguy again after last LTS, but things just go wrong.
    i can’t even login to forum!
    :P

sry to bother you.
    keep up the good work!

oh, i am kaboontu ;)

4. ActYourRage 13/05/2014 at 3:29 PM #

things are a bit worse than I expected at the beginning,
    holding mouse click and trying to drag anything crashes the desktop, and resets extensions.
    the cursor turns to an x and then, the first time it crashes and resets extensions, but the second time it kills the desktop.
    Furthermore, there can be no icons on the desktop, even by trying to reset it with tweak.
    My pc has always been special, but am I the only one experiencing this?